From the Walt Disney World News and written by: Sean Sposato
Earlier this year, a man was arrested on Walt Disney World property after he was caught camping at the abandoned Discovery Island water park. Today, according to court records, it seems the man accepted a plea deal.
According to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office, deputies were called to 4301 North World Drive on April 30 after 42-year-old Richard McGuire was found on Discovery Island. They reportedly looked for him on foot, helicopter, and boat before they found him.
The report says when they made contact with him via loudspeaker, McGuire said he didn’t hear them because he was napping inside one of the buildings he deemed a “tropical paradise”. It also says he told them he was camping there and didn’t know it was off-limits and had planned to stay for about a week.
At the time of his arrest, McGuire said he’d been camping on the 11-acre island for several days. Although, this all came to an end after McGuire triggered a wildlife trail camera, which tipped off authorities of his trespassing on the land.
McGuire was arrested and charged with trespassing. He was also asked not to return to Walt Disney World property.
McGuire posted YouTube videos of the encounter that showed him covering himself with leaves as the sheriff’s helicopter could be heard circling overhead.
“Disney world ain’t playing. Disney World ain’t (expletive) playing,” McGuire said in the footage.
According to ClickOrlando, as part of McGuire’s plea deal, he must pay a $100 fine, plus court and prosecution costs. He entered a plea of no contest and adjudication will be withheld, which will make it so the trespassing charge will not show up as a conviction on his criminal record.
The plea was filed Sept. 30 and records show the case is now closed.
What are your thoughts on McGuire attempting to camp on the deserted Disney World property? Let us know in the comments!